Stigma- One in Five exhibit

Stigma


This painting was a turning point in my life at the very core of my existence. The idea of the painting was to take back the power of the many words that have tormented my psyche for so long a time, to excise the demons, and to heal from within.

The thoughts around mental illness were taught to me from a young age, whispers about a neighbour or relative gone mad and put in the asylum. How mental illness was portrayed in movies, books, and campfire stories was my guide.

The worst stigma was being labelled and diagnosed as mentally ill. Who defines mental illness? The so-called experts have a limited and misguided understanding in regards to the struggles within.

With each brush stroke and word I placed on the canvas, a barrage of emotions rose within me. Such anger and rage extended out into the brush, pounding and stabbing the canvas. Words that were poisoning the spirit within me now started to lose their power: words that had driven me to the point of ending my life time and again. The emotions culminated into stepping back from the work, closing my eyes and breathing deeply. When I opened my eyes the tears began to flow, unleashing the memories and emotions of a lifetime. I wept from deep within, from that place which was lost so long ago, my heart.

I have used the “Stigma” painting at events bringing awareness about a taboo subject: mental illness. At universities and high schools, public events and art shows it has provoked thought and dialogue. Education and awareness come in many forms. This painting expresses the harsh brutality of words and hopefully reminds others that we are people first. Someone’s mother, father, son, daughter, sister, brother…

Wallace

wmalay.blogspot.com

wanderingwallace@hotmail.com
           

Comments

Popular Posts