In Your Eyes

Well it has been an intersting day.I was asked by a teenager today what was the best advice anyone had ever given me.My response was," Do not let others put limitations on you."
You see, not that long ago,I was sitting in a boardroom in a physciatric facility.I had been there several months. At the table were two physciatrist,a physciatric nurse,a social worker,and occupational therapist, in a lone chair,without representation, was myself. They stated that I would never be able to function independantly in society and that I would have to live in a semi-independant living environment for the rest of my life.
Already depressed and at times suicidal, this was the final blow.
I was distraught,the end of my existence was apparent. I quietly left and returned to my room,alone. As I sat on the edge of my bed a voice from my past resonated through my being," Do not let others put limitations on you."
I rushed out of my room,running towards the doors where they had delivered my fate. I burst through the doors, this startled all present. Fear was in there eyes.I stood directly in the middle of the room and loudly said," No, you are not gods,you do not have the power to predict and decide my life.Your words are shit!"
I then began my journey to wellness.A rage burned inside of me,it had always been there,now I had direction for it.I would spend the next several years struggling,persevering, wandering the land in search of a stillness,of a home, of others who would accept me for who I am.I have found that home,I have found that acceptance.
I have learned what some of my limitations are, not by others or by fear or misgivings on my part.But by being active in my recovery and having support from many in my community.
I am proud of who I am,and I encourage others to also be proud.It is alright to be different,unique, afetr all, we are.

Comments

Popular Posts